★ABOUT THE BOOK:
After the First World War the importance of highways was felt and realized. The concept of highway engineering has changed during the last two decades. The thumb rule concept has become a thing of the past. With the increasing importance of highways for the prosperity and integrity of the country and with the increasing cost of construction and maintenance of highways, the trend of construction, planning and designing has also changed. The Central Road Research Institute and P.W.D. research centers all over the country have contributed a lot in the design, planning road user safety, construction and economy etc. The present work is the outcome of author’s long association with the subject as a teacher and as a student. Efforts have been made to present the subject matter in a very lucid and comprehensive manner. The author does not claim any originality but sufficient pains have been taken in compiling the work by consulting important works and Road Research Journals. The subject matter is presented from the introduction so that the book may prove useful to diploma and degree students as well as practising engineers. The book presents acceptable theory and construction practices. Important topics such as bituminous roads, stabilized earth roads, traffic engineering, pavement design and highway planning and economics have been comprehensively dealt. Hill Roads including construction and layout of tunnels have been given special emphasis. Airport engineering, though it is not a part of highway engineering, has also been touched so as to introduce the subject matter. I take this opportunity to express my gratitude to Padamshri R.S. Gahlowt, Chairman and Managing Director (Retd). Hindustan Steel Co. Ltd. for his valuable guidance, help and blessings and my friend and colleague Shri G.S. Birdie, Consulting Engineer for the preparation of a large number of drawings and consultations. Any suggestion for the improvement of the book in the forthcoming editions will be thankfully acknowledged and welcomed. For errors or omissions and constructive criticism from the readers and users are welcome.
Allahabad T.D. AHUJA
- Various designs of the Highway Engineering are based on the latest IS Codes.
- Several empirical methods of estimating. Evapotranspiration such as modified penman method, hargreaves methods, modified blaney criddle method, etc., are discussed.
- Treatment of earthquake forces acting on gravity dams is thoroughly explained.
- Detailed discussion regarding the provision of water stops at the contraction joints in gravity dams as per IS Codes is made.
- Some aspects of financial analysis of a project are discussed with planning for water resources development.
- Number of design problems have been solved in details.
- Subject matter is supported by very good diagrams and illustrative examples.
- A large number of multiple choice questions with answers are given.
A textbook for all Engineering Branches, Competitive Examination, ICS, and AMIE Examinations In S.I Units For Degree, Diploma and A.I.M.E. (India) Students and Practicing Civil Engineers
★ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Professor T.D. Ahuja
Institute of Engineering and Rural Technology,
PAGES: 548 + 18
Price (Paperback) Rs. 280.00
SIZE: L-24.2 B-15.9 H-2.2
STANDARD BOOK HOUSE Since 1960
Rajsons Publications Pvt Ltd
4262/3A Ground Floor Ansari Road
Daryaganj New Delhi-110002
+91 011 43551185/43551085/43751128/23250212
Retail Office :
1705-A Nai Sarak Delhi-110006
A venture of Rajsons Group of Companies
All rights are reserved with the Publishers. This book or any part thereof, may not be reproduced, represent, photocopy in any manner without the prior written permission of the Publishers.